Thursday, April 15, 2010

What a Trailer way to kill some time

During my many hours of procrastination, my number one distraction is to watch movie trailers. If you don’t have time to fit in a movie during a study break, then break it down and get the gist of what you’re actually trying to watch. They’re short, sweet and give me a glimpse into a plot that remains so different from my very own. Sometimes they make me laugh and sometime they make me cry and my number one rule, when going to the movies, is to get there in time to view the coming attractions, for sometimes, the trailers are better than the actual pictures themselves; they’re designed that way, especially if the movie is down right bad.

NINE

For some reason, one trailer that will always stick out in my mind is the preview for “Nine”, Bob Marshall’s most current musical released by the Weinstein Company. As the song “Be Italian” plays steadily in the background sung by Fergie, I remember being so intrigued by the feel of a Broadway stage mixed with the glitz and glam of Hollywood. As the trailer unfolds, I remember being mesmerized by the array of talent casted for the film. From Nicole Kidman to Sofia Loren, to Judi Dench to Daniel Day Lewis, it seemed too good to be true. There is something about Judi Dench’s voice that always draws me to her characters; even in a movie trailer. Furthermore, anything with Daniel Day Lewis attracts my attention, and to have his talents lent to a musical stirred my anticipation to see the film.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/nine/


MALICE IN WONDERLAND

After browsing through the current selection of Apple movie trailers, one trailer, in particular, sparked my attention. It is the trailer of a new film called “Malice in Wonderland” starring Maggie Grace, the girl from “Taken” who has that bizarre, limp run. She’s also from the first season of “Lost”. I almost didn’t click on it, however, am very happy that I did. It’s obviously a modern take on the classic tale of “Alice in Wonderland”. The film reminded me of a Tim Burton rendition, however, take away the acid psychedelic aspect and throw in some real life craziness and there you have it. The premise is centralized around Alice whose father is a billionaire. Struck by a cab in what seems like a seedy area of London, far from her home, we follow Alice as she’s trying to search for her mother in what seems like an entertaining dark fairy tale. All of the necessary characters are present, however, instead of being make believe, they take on the personas of actual people; low-lives. I would assume that the crooks she gets mixed up with will want some sort of ransom, but hopefully as the story unwinds, she can discover where she is and why she got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment